Saturday, March 20, 2010

Baby Shower Cupcakes


I wanted to share these cupcakes with all of you because, I must say, I am pretty darn proud of them. I spent the day working on these cupcakes for a baby shower. The order was a bit last minute, but I was not thwarted as several forces in the universe seemed to be conspiring to turn this into an excellent opportunity to try new techniques and patronize new retail establishments. This day seemed to unfold like a whimsical adventure. I felt as if I were a character in The Alchemist,an excellent read if you are looking for something short, poignant, and philosophical.

The first turn of good fortune these cupcakes brought with them was a trip to the newly opened Hobby Lobby in my local shopping area. If you have never experienced the joy that is Hobby Lobby, locate one right away and make haste to this retail establishment. I've been reading up on a fondant stamping technique that uses clear stamps, and Hobby Lobby had just what I needed. They also carry a variety of super groovy cupcake liners that I was dying to buy, but I must pace myself if I do not want to wallow in debt at the tender age of thirty. I also had the pleasure of checking out in a lane run by an adorable pregnant woman who was unusually pleasant early on a Saturday morning.

I also stopped by Cook's Corner, the store that was closed due to an unexpected power outage when I was gathering my supplies for the St. Patrick's Day cupcakes and the only dark cloud in my otherwise sunny day. While they have an interesting selection of toys for aspiring chefs, I do not plan on going back there. The clerk ignored me when I approached the counter to check out and, after finally helping me, did not get off the phone or speak to me at all.

From Cook's Corner, I made my way to the grocery store to gather my ingredients. There were several sales going on; almost everything I needed was a featured item this week. When I went up to the self-check-out lane, the automated coupon printer started spitting out coupons on many items on my grocery list. This coupled with the Hobby Lobby experience led me to believe that the universe really wanted me to make these cupcakes after all.

Baking and assembling the cupcakes took a great deal of time, but it was well worth it. I was able to get my fondant made and start rolling out the toppers before the cupcakes were finished baking. This saved me time on the decorating end.

I used a basic chocolate cupcake recipe and topped the cakes with a maple butter cream frosting. On top of the frosting I placed a stamped circle of fondant topped with a pink fondant star stamped with the word "Baby."

I hope that the expectant mother enjoys her cupcakes. I wish her joy and peace during this exciting time.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I also had a bad experience at that Cook's Corner! I went in looking for a certain kind of jar opener, which they had, but it was not very expensive. When I placed it on the counter to check out the guy behind the counter scoffed and said, "That's all?" I really needed that jar opener so I paid and swore never to go back, but I really wish I had told him off. Oh well. Love the cupcake!

Post a Comment

 

Copyright © 2010 The Great Cupcake Experiment
Assisted by GX Media